This WordPress plugin adds a sidebar widget to display your Blogger’s Choice Awards nomination badges and allow your visitors to vote for your site.
Blogger’s Choice Awards is a social website where “you’ll see which blogs are currently making an impact in the blogosphere.” Once registered you can nominate blogs, note for blogs and comment on blogs that have been nominated. The winners in 36 different categories will be announced at the PostieCon in Las Vegas, NV on November 10, 2007.
Well if you’ve been lucky enough to have your blog nominated then you can show off your pride and place a Blogger’s Choice Awards nomination badge on your website. This gives a link back to a page where your readers have easy access to vote for your site. The folks at Blogger’s Choice
Awards have given you a nice page that displays some HTML that you simply cut and paste into your website where you would like to display your badge.
This plugin provides a widget to help in the “pasting” part of this process. It gives you a configuration where you enter your Blogger’s Choice Awards site ID and then select the category under which your blog was nominated. That’s it! Just drag and drop the widget to the active sidebar of your choice and you’re good to go.
After downloading the zip file, unzip and follow these few simple steps:
- Upload `bloggerschoice.php` to the `/wp-content/plugins/` or `/wp-content/plugins/widgets/` directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Configure the number of Blogger’s Choice Awards widgets you would like on the Presentation -> Sidebar Widgets administration screen
- Drag and drop your Blogger’s Choice Awards widgets onto the active sidebars of your choice on the Presentation -> Sidebar Widgets administration screen
- Configure each of your Blogger’s Choice Awards widgets and save your changes.
- Title – As with most widgets you can provide a title to display above the Blogger’s Choice Awards nomination badge if you choose.
- Site ID – When viewing your site listing/nomination on the Blogger’s Choice Awards site the url will look like http://www.bloggerschoiceawards.com/blogs/show/XXXXX. The XXXXX should be a number which is your Site ID. Just put that number in this input text box. Note that if you are nominated under multiple categories this number will be different for each category that you are nominated for.
- Open New Window – Check the box if you would like your nomination badget to open a new browser window/tab when users click on your link.
- Category – Select the category under which your site/blog was nominated.
See screenshot number 2.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sidebar Widgets comes with a Text Widet. Can’t I just copy and paste the Blogger’s Choice Awards code in one of these?
Sure you can. But if you are anything like me, you’ve already used them all up. Not only that but I quickly forget if Text 1 is my Google ad or if Text 4 is my last.fm widget, etc. This way you can tell at a glance which widgets are your Blogger’s Choice Awards nomination badges.
I love your widget! Can I donate to your cause?
I’d feel terribly ashamed of accepting money for something this easy to slam together. If you like and use the widget feel free to show your love in these ways:
- Add my site to your blogroll franzone.com.
- Subscribe to my RSS Feed
- Subscribe to my Email Updates
- Favorite my blog on Technorati
Screenshot 2. Widget configuration. See configuration section above for full description of these fields.
Here is a list of categories under which your blog may be nominated at the Blogger’s Choice Awards site.
- Best Animal Blogger
- Best Blog About Blogging
- Best Blog About Stuff
- Best Blog Design
- Best Blog of All Time
- Best Blogging Host
- Best Business Blog
- Best Celebrity Blogger
- Best Charity Blog
- Best Corporate Blog
- Best Education Blog
- Best Entertainment Blog
- Best Food Blog
- Foreign Language Blog
- Best Geek Blog
- Best Gossip Blog
- Best Health Blog
- Best Hobby Blog
- Best Humor Blog
- Best Marketing Blog
- Best Parenting Blog
- Best Photography Blog
- Best Podcast
- Best Political Blog
- Best Pop Culture Blog
- Best Religion Blog
- Best Shopping Blog
- Best Sports Blog
- Best Travel Blog
- Best Video Blogger
- Freakiest Blogger
- Hottest Daddy Blogger
- Hottest Mommy Blogger
- Most Obnoxious Blogger
- The “Blogitzer”
- Worst Blog of All Time