For the first part of my career I fought against being pigeonholed as a web programmer or web developer. Why? I wanted to build serious applications.. real applications that ran on the desktop and consumed large amounts of resources. Of course, eventually I gave up fighting that battle and migrated towards the web application. That turned out to be a very challenging area which was good enough for me. On my own free time I played with various GUI programming techniques and finally in the past several years I’ve had the opportunity to work on some commercial desktop applications and have actually been exposed to a wide variety of different platforms. What’s my point?
Segregation Is Bad!
On AIR Bus Tour
Adobe is doing an On AIR Bus Tour across the country to promote the API in front of developers. You can check the website to see if they’ll be stopping in a city near you, read the twitter account entries from the bus tour, see the latest flickr images from the bus tour and they even have a live video feed! Interested in the actual bus? Yeah, they have the bus specs there too. Plus you can see who’s riding on the bus. Why? I have no idea.
Let’s Build Some Apps
Coding Contest – Grand Prize Valued $100,000
Show me the money! To kick things off with a bang Adobe has opened the Adobe AIR Developer Derby. Entries will be judged on innovation, visual design and appeal, usability, and application of Adobe AIR functionality in several different categories. Here are the prizes that are up for grabs:
Grand Prize / Best of Show
The Best of Show winner will receive the trip of a lifetime, a travel certificate valued at up to US$100,000, to be used for the travel of your choice!
Five category winners will each receive â€œThe Ultimate Development Environmentâ€ to power your Adobe AIR development (and play) for years to come:
- A Mac Pro 8Core with 4 gigs ram, 1.5 TB (2x750GB) of storage.
- (2) Dell 2707WFP 27″ widescreen monitors.
- (1) one Sony Playstation 3.
- (1) $200 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
- (1) Herman Miller Aeron chair.
- (1) Bose Quiet Comfort 3 noise canceling headphones.
- (1) copy of Adobe Flexâ„¢ Builderâ„¢ version 3, Macintosh edition.
- (1) copy of Adobe Creative SuiteÂ® 3 Master Collection for Macintosh.
- And one squishy stress ball.
Plus each winner also receives:
- A trip and conference pass to the Adobe MAX 2007 annual user conference.
- Your application showcased on Adobe.com for the world to see.
See You At The Races!
So are you up to the challenge? I know I am! $100,000 vacation… no thanks. I want that Mac Pro and the PS3! Don’t forget the squishy stress ball. 😉