Here is a really cool site that I just ran across called NapkinNotebook.com. It’s based on the concept that many of the world’s great business ventures and ideas come from sketches and notes written on napkins in a meeting over lunch or cocktails.
The site has a cool feature where you can use your mouse to sketch something on a virtual napkin notebook. You can then Email the sketch to yourself or a friend. You can also submit the sketch to their gallery to (possibly) be featured on the site. You can see the sketch that I drew above. It’s actually quite fun.
The other option on the site, and one which I was quite excited about, is the ability to purchase an actual, physical napkin notebook. What a great gift idea! However, when I clicked on the purchase link (goes to the Museum of Modern Art) I received an error message: “We’re sorry. We were unable to locate the item you were looking for.” Bummer. 🙁
Hopefully they’ll get some more in stock. Otherwise… it’s still a cool site.
I just won a new book! And it was really easy. I’m a user of Adaptive Blue’s Glue, a FireFox Add-On that does some really nice stuff to help you tag and organize stuff you find and like on the web. They also have a “Glue Genie” on Twitter (http://twitter.com/glue_genie) that runs some fun games that are very easy to play. You just run around the web tagging stuff and adding some really simple comments. Then if you are lucky the Glue Genie may just grant you your wish and give you something. So head over to http://twitter.com/glue_genie and start playing to get your free stuff.
The Lil Guppie Multi-Tool is a different sort of multi-tool that is both unique and useful. The adjustable wrench on the Lil Guppie Multi-tool opens to 10 mm so it can be used for light repairs and assembly jobs. The carabiner is great for attaching to a D-ring, belt loop or backpack. The high-carbon stainless steel blade has a razor sharp edge and can be opened or closed with one hand. The tail of the Guppie is a flat blade screwdriver that can handle smaller size screws in a pinch and the base of the jaw is a Phillips screwdriver. The curved fin is a built-in bottle opener. The Guppie also comes with a detachable stainless steel pocket clip that makes a great money clip.
- Designed and manufactured by Columbia River Knife & Tool
- Compact, easy to carry tool
- Steel blade, adjustable wrench, carabiner, flat screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, pocket/money clip, bottle opener
- Bead blast finish
- Blade length: 1″ (2.54 cm)
- Handle length: 3″ (7.6 cm)
- Tool weight: 1.9 oz (54 g)
Remember that awesome geek movie, Office Space? Well, here is The Office Space Kit, which has some items to take you back to the hilarity of the movie itself.
- Red Stapler (mini, 2″ long)
- Initech Mug
- “Is this Good for the Company?” Sign (29″ x 9.75″)
- Starter “Flair” (1.5″ diameter)
- “PC Load Letter” Copy Machine Sticker
- Your Very Own “Jump To Conclusions” Mat (approx. 24″ x 39″)
- A Humorous 32-Page Book
- TPS Report Coversheets (5 included)
- Really Keen Packaging (10″ x 5″ x 4″)
Now that the high definition format war is over, why not grab a Sony Blu-Ray Disc Player?
- True 1080p Output
- Dolby TrueHD compatible
- Ethernet connection for BD-Live Compatibility and firmware updates
- USB Port Allows More Storage for Access to More Special Features, Like Bonus View
- Higher Bit Rates mean less video compression
- Emmy-Award Winning Xross Media Bar Interface
- Bravia Sync for Easy Connectivity
The gift of portable reading is a great idea! The Kindle from Amazon is an electronic book reader that you can carry along with you. It’s revolutionary electronic paper technology provides a crisp, clear image that looks amazingly like real paper (well, at least that’s what they say). Of course you’ll have to wait in line (virtually) to get one as they are sold out.
- Revolutionary electronic-paper display provides a sharp, high-resolution screen that looks and reads like real paper.
- Simple to use: no computer, no cables, no syncing.
- Wireless connectivity enables you to shop the Kindle Store directly from your Kindleâ€”whether youâ€™re in the back of a taxi, at the airport, or in bed.
- Buy a book and it is auto-delivered wirelessly in less than one minute.
- More than 200,000 books available, including more than 100 of 112 current New York Times Best Sellers.
- New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise.
- Free book samples. Download and read first chapters for free before you decide to buy.
- Top U.S. newspapers including The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post; top magazines including TIME, Atlantic Monthly, and Forbesâ€”all auto-delivered wirelessly.
- Top international newspapers from France, Germany, and Ireland; Le Monde, Frankfurter Allgemeine, and The Irish Timesâ€”all auto-delivered wirelessly.
- More than 1000 top blogs from the worlds of business, technology, sports, entertainment, and politics, including BoingBoing, Slashdot, TechCrunch, ESPN’s Bill Simmons, The Onion, Michelle Malkin, and The Huffington Postâ€”all updated wirelessly throughout the day.
- Lighter and thinner than a typical paperback; weighs only 10.3 ounces.
- Holds over 200 titles.
- Long battery life. Leave wireless on and recharge approximately every other day. Turn wireless off and read for a week or more before recharging. Fully recharges in 2 hours.
- Unlike WiFi, Kindle utilizes the same high-speed data network (EVDO) as advanced cell phonesâ€”so you never have to locate a hotspot.
- No monthly wireless bills, service plans, or commitmentsâ€”we take care of the wireless delivery so you can simply click, buy, and read.
- Includes free wireless access to the planet’s most exhaustive and up-to-date encyclopediaâ€”Wikipedia.org.
- Email your Word documents and pictures (.JPG, .GIF, .BMP, .PNG) to Kindle for easy on-the-go viewing.
- Included in the box: Kindle wireless reader, Book cover, Power adapter, USB 2.0 cable
Here’s another great idea to get a geek (or really anyone) this Christmas. A portable GPS (global positioning system) unit that can be plugged into your car and mounted on the dash. These neat electronic devices can tell from satellite signals where in the world you are and can give you directions! Most allow you to type in a destination address and then the unit gives you turn by turn directions to get you where you need to go. Pretty cool.
There are plenty of options so I just linked a search page on Amazon for GPS & Navigation. Check them out.
Have you ever forgotten to turn your alarm clock on for Monday morning because you had a busy weekend? Wouldn’t it be nice to just have it always be on for Monday morning? Well, now you can with the Neverlate 7-Day Alarm Clock. This alarm clock allows you to set a different alarm for each of the seven days of the week.
- 7 Independent Daily Alarms
- Nap Timer (1-120 minutes)
- Easy-to-use Rotary Set Mechanism
- Customizable Snooze Duration (1-30 minutes)
- Backlit LCD Display
- FM/AM Tuner
- Radio Sleep Timer
- Battery Back Up (2 AAA batteries, not included)
- Dimensions: 5″ cube (to top of knob)
- Power Cord Length: approx. 5.5′
- Uses 120V standard US current
- Manufacturer Warranty: 90 days
Give your geek friends and/or family the gift of punctuality!
Remember that great, cult-classic move The Princess Bride? Well there was one (of many) great line in that film that almost anyone slightly familiar with the story will recognize. “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!” Here is the great quote put on a t-shirt as if it were a name badge sticker pasted onto your chest. Truly awesome!
Since I brought up gaming consoles… there are more options than just the Wii. This is a holiday bundle of the Xbox 360 Console that includes a 60 GB hard drive and two games (LEGO Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda).